Friday, January 20, 2017
18 Cool Things to Click On This Totally Normal, Average, Non-Special Day
Hello on this perfectly normal, nothing-to-see-here, Friday-that's-just-like-any-other-Friday day! Got any fun plans for this average day? I'll be spending it on deadline, furiously writing a story and not turning on my TV. (Well, until 10pm when my bae Bill Maher returns from hiatus).
As for the rest of the weekend: Tomorrow, I'm taking my kid to soccer. Then I'm meeting a few thousand friends to march through the streets of New York City. I may carry a sign and shout angrily. You know. Just a typical Saturday. Then on Sunday we have swimming class.
Can you tell my go-to defense mechanism is denial?
So, whether you're spending the weekend crying, cheering, marching, denying, or just living it like any other weekend, here's a few fun links to check out before the world blows up. Enjoy!
• This top is kind of perfect. Love the color, love the shape, love the subtle ruffles, love that it goes with jeans or could be dressed up for work, and LOVE that it's on sale for $41.
• These Alexis Bittar earrings are so cool. And they're on major sale right now--62% off!
• I love the new Tory Burch Gemini Link bags. I want a gray one!
• I know it seems early to think about bathing suits, but now is really when they have the best size selection. I have my eye on this J.Crew one-piece, which manages to hit that rare combo of being both a bit more covered and sexy.
• This video features a guy rapping about his cat (Ravioli!) while giving him a bath. It is one of the best things I have ever seen. I posted it on Facebook the other day and it is probably one of my most-shared posts ever. People have actually thanked me for bringing this simple joy into their lives. I am now giving the gift to you. You're welcome.
• Did you guys hear that Bobbi Brown is stepping down from her company? In honor of the moment, I wrote about her for Town & Country.com It may just be one of my favorite things I've ever written.
• During the tail end of the election, I became obsessed with the Keepin' It 1600 podcast, which was produced by (smart, hilarious, and adorable) former Obama staffers. It's now been morphed into a new version (Pod Save America), and it, too, is just so, so good. In their most recent episode, they interviewed Barack Obama in his very last interview as president. Highly recommend.
• Loved learning about the beautiful way that Japanese women grieve a miscarriage.
• This spiralized Greek salad sounds soo yummy (and healthy!).
• Or, if you prefer to eat your feelings this weekend in a less nutritious way, might I suggest this cinnamon roll breakfast bake? #yum
• I have watched this video (featuring a guy in a polar bear costume slipping on an ice rink) about 15 times so far. And I laugh until I cry every time.
• In this crazy story, a girl randomly found her doppelganger. And then she found another one. And another one. And another one.
• I love this artist's rendition of what George Washington would look like as a hipster with a man bun.
• I thought I knew a lot about Planned Parenthood, but I learned a lot more about it in this piece by my friend Hitha. It's a good primer for people on both sides of the defunding debate.
• This essay by a mother who lost her 22-year-old son is absolutely beautiful. Whatever you do, though, do not read it in public. Because you will be ugly-crying.
And in case you missed it, I...
• Showed 9 ways to have a good hair day.
• Shared how I'm teaching my daughter to love her wavy hair. (Along with some pretty darn cute photos of her!)
• Revealed my holiday card.