|Sneak peek at our redesigned living room, which is coming along verrrrry slowwwwly. Basically, I've learned that interior design is more excruciating than childbirth. Really. More to come!|
What are you guys up to this weekend? I've got a ton of work to do (boo), but it's also my birthday weekend! Today I'm chained to my computer and getting a pre-birthday blowout (duh). Then tomorrow, I'm taking my daughter and two nieces to a kid-friendly Broadway show, then going to dinner with my husband and trying to pretend that I'm not really a year older.
Do you have any fun Valentine's Day plans? Hope your day is full of love, fun, and lots of good candy. Here's a few cool links to check out in the meantime.
• I just bought this bathing suit! What do you guys think? Keep in mind, I'm old enough (and mom enough) that covering the tummy is key!
• Next on my list: This cute dress in white, which is basically Alexa Chung meets Megan Draper for under $150.
• A few months back, I mentioned that this book was one of the best I'd read in a long, long time. Then, like a gift from above, I learned that it has been made into a miniseries launching on Hulu on President's Day. I AM DYING OF EXCITEMENT. So, here's what you need to do: First, watch the trailer for the show (don't worry--there aren't really any spoilers in there). Second, if you haven't read it, buy the book. Third, read the book before the show. PLEASE. Fourth, come back and thank me. It's that good!
• After reading this interview with a "prepper mom," part of me thinks she's a paranoid crazy person and part of me wants to start stockpiling food and survival supplies.
• Big yes to every word of this article: Why office face time is a mirage.
• It's not just your imagination: Sitting at a desk all day does make your butt flatter.
• It goes on a bit too long (and it's also, admittedly, just kind of wrong), but if you love Making a Murderer and Real Housewives, this video will make you laugh.
• This interview with the writer of Queen Bees and Wannabes (and a new book about boys) is a must-read for moms of sons.
• This 13 year old's Snapchat prowess will put you to shame.
• Have you read this interview with professional-Kim-Kardashian-BFF, Jonahan Cheban? No? Oh lordy, then you are in for a treat. #worldsbiggestdouche
• So good! Dumb and Dumber edited into a faux Oscar-worthy trailer.
• My supermom friend Bev just made these red velvet cookies and now I can't wait to copy her. YUM.
• My other friend Michelle just threw the world's cutest Madeline birthday party.
• Okay, then my other friend, Jenn threw a great outer-space princess party!
• Science is fascinating: Two-dad babies may soon be possible.
• For my blogger friends: Why influencers should be paid.
• If you follow me on Snapchat (alyssahertzig), you know that I went to an event earlier this week for the Happy Egg Company While there, I learned some interesting things about farming and our food, including that "cage-free" (a label I always make a point to look for) doesn't really mean that much. (FYI, it doesn't mean they spend their lives frolicking outside--admittedly, what I thought!--but just means they aren't kept in a tiny cage. They're usually still confined inside though.) Turns out, the better label to look for is "free range," which does mean they get to go outside. If you're interested, the company has launched a campaign to raise awareness (and money!) for ethical farming. You can show your support by signing the pledge here.
And in case you missed it, I...
• Shared a few of my favorite fashion and beauty finds.
• Tested a great new eye cream...at a morning dance party.
• Narrowly survived being snowed-in with my kids.
• Dressed up and recreated a vintage photo of my mom.
• Rounded up the adorable DIY valentines I would totally make if I wasn't a slacker.
• Wondered if this means my son is a genius.
• Showed how to wear sneakers without looking like a total slob.